Saturday, June 11, 2011

Why Tweet?

I'm not going to try and reinvent the wheel on this one.   I'll include two links at the end of this post that I believe give coherent and eloquent reasons for using Twitter as a professional development tool for educators.  For now let me offer a few changes that have come about in my own professional life as an educator since I joined Twitter in March:
  • Significantly altering my teaching style to be more student focused - giving students the power to make a multitude of decisions regarding how they will demonstrate their learning
  • Moving away from grades based on averages and towards standards based assessment and evaluation
  • Interacting with educators from all over the world through various education themed chats
  • Gaining a deep awareness of the challenges for guiding children through a learning environment that is often not structured to encourage the greatest amount or highest quality of learning
Two posts that I think nail the reason to use Twitter for professional development and ways to begin using Twitter:
A Not So Delusional Guide to Twitter - Pernille Ripp (@4thGrdTch) - loads of insight on many areas
Twitter Tutorial (video) - Josh Stumpenhorst (@stumpteacher)

Give Twitter a try!  I know that my thinking won't ever be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment