Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 11 - Teaching Like You'll Be Observed

Q: What do you think about the phrase: "Always teach like you are going to be observed"?

A: For me, this phrase cuts both ways across my philosophy about learning and instruction.


  • I think that this phrase can have a positive value. If I am going to be observed, I would most likely heighten my focus on what and how I am guiding my students towards learning with that particular lesson. My focus on student attention and interaction might be more detailed than usual. I would most likely be more involved in all the aspects of how that lesson will be taught and possible pitfalls along the way.

  • On the other hand, this phrase could also carry some negative connotations. If I feel the pressure to teach like I am always under observation, I might decide to not attempt any new or original methods of learning. Depending on my relationship with my administrator, I could easily shy away from guiding my students in methods that deviate from "traditional" instruction.

Overall, I can imagine that depending on the people involved and the culture in which the learning takes place, the above phrase could have vastly different effects on an educator's actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment