Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 25 - Taught in School?

Q:  How was I taught in school?
A:  I was taught in the traditional, teacher-centric model.  Teacher imparts knowledge, students practice, and then students demonstrate "learning".  This was pretty much how I was taught throughout the 80's and early 90's.  I can't remember a single instructor who departed from this form of education.  With this description I don't mean to imply that my teachers didn't care about me or my learning.  On the contrary, I remember several with affection and true joy for their desire to help me and others become the best students and individuals possible.  Each of these instructors may have had no knowledge of different approaches to encourage student learning, just as I hadn't during my first 12 years of teaching.  My lack of knowledge regarding different methods of instructing has been wiped away through my interactions with other educators on Twitter.  So as I began my thirteenth year as an educator next week, I will encouraging my students to learn in vastly different ways than I was ever guided.  I believe this is an excellent situation.  For the past several years, I have felt a vague unease with how I have been teaching, but couldn't ever find a personally workable solution.  The new direction our classroom will be taking is the beginning of  a journey that will hopefully lead to greater student learning and satisfaction with their school experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment